Cost of making a Power of Attorney
A Power of Attorney is the second of two of the most important documents you can ever have (the other being your Will). A Power of Attorney allows you to appoint someone to look after your affairs if you cannot do that yourself. It will allow someone to make decisions where you no longer can. Your attorney will make the kind of decisions you would have made had you been able.
As with Wills, we take a very straight forward approach to Powers of Attorney. We charge a fee of £295 (excluding VAT) for a single Power of Attorney. If you and your spouse or partner make a Power of Attorney at the same time, the fee for both is £450.00 (excluding VAT)
This means the cost of the legal work involved is:
Single Power of Attorney: £354.00 (including VAT)
Two Powers of Attorney £540.00 (including VAT).
Are there any additional costs involved?
Once your Power of Attorney has been prepared, signed and certified, we will sent it for registration to the Office of the Public Guardian (Scotland). This fee is due to be paid at the time of registration.
However, there are circumstances where you may be entitled to an exemption from paying this fee. You can view the list of who is entitled to an exemption by visiting the Office of the Public Guardian (Scotland) website by clicking here.
The total costs for making a single Power of Attorney, including VAT, will be £439.00.
The total costs for two Powers of Attorney made at the same time, including VAT, will be £702.00
What’s involved in making a Power of Attorney?
This fee for the preparation of your Power of Attorney includes the following work:
- Taking your instructions on your requirements
- Advising you about your options
- Explaining the different types of Powers of Attorney available to you
- Preparing a draft Power of Attorney for your review
- Arranging to have this signed
- Certifying your capacity to grant a Power of Attorney
- Registering your Power of Attorney with the Office of the Public Guardian (Scotland)
- Storing your Power of Attorney for you (should you wish us to)
Does this cost of making a Power of Attorney include everything?
The costs we’ve outlined above are the costs involved in almost all Powers of Attorney we create for clients. The fixed fee cost will not include:
- Changes to provide for very specific or customised powers of the attorney in the Power of Attorney
- Complex arrangements implementation of actions by different attorneys or combinations of attorneys
- Customised instructions to attorneys contained within the Power of Attorney
In the event of such additional complexity being required, we will discuss this with you and advise you about any potential increase in costs that may be involved.
If you have any questions about our fees or if you would like further information specific to your own case, please complete the following short form and send it to us. We will respond to you as soon as we can.
You might also like to read about the two most important documents everyone should have by clicking here.